Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Nicholas Nickleby (2002) Movie Review




Rated: PG

My rating: 9

Plot: When Nicholas Nickleby's father dies Nicholas is sent to work at boys boarding school. While there Nicholas witnesses the extremely cruel way the school master treats the young boys.
  He rescues the crippled boy, Smike , and they runaway to join a traveling play group.

Objectionable content: People are abused, especially Smike. In one scene a man hangs himself, but you only see him from the knees down. Kisses are exchanged between a couple. Some period naked statues and drawings are shown. A man tries to seduce a girl and he insists that she wants to 'make love' to him, but she refuses to accept his advances.

Would I recommend this movie? Yes, but to teens and adults for the thematic plot.

8 comments:

Daisy said...

Hi Ella,

Another lovely post!! :) I'm delighted to award you once again over at Violets and Daisies - this time with the Versatile Blog award!! http://violetsdaisies.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/the-versatile-blog-award.html
God bless!!

Ella said...

Thanks Daisy!
Sorry I didn't post the last award.I"ll try to post of both of the awards soon.
I hope you have a great week!

Rissi said...

Really like this version. I think it's the only one I've seen of this story just because I've been warned against other miniseries. It's quite good for a Hollywood adaptation. :)

Glad you liked it, Ella. :)

Ella said...

Rissi, this is the only version I have watched too.
I liked that they made this movie a bit more cheerful than most Charles Dickens Adaptions.
I hope you and your family will have a blessed Easter weekend!

Violet said...

Thanks for the review Ella! I have this movie and have watched it several times, and while I did enjoy it I must say it is not one of my favourite Dickens adaptations (for some of the reasons you stated). My all-time favourite is Bleak House and I love Little Dorrit too. But I agree, this version of Nicholas Nickleby is still worth a watch and is a lot shorter than some other Dickens adaptations which is always handy! :)

From Violet

Ella said...

Violet-I have to admit this is adaption isn't like other Charles Dickens Adaptions. I love Bleak House and Little Dorrit too!
For people that think period dramas are long and dull would probably enjoy this movie. I hope you have a great day!

Grace said...

Oh, I loved this adaption. True, it was a bit different {and a bit hard to watch at times}, but it will probably remain one of my favorites. *smile* Lovely post! xx
gracesgardenwalk.blogspot.com

Ella said...

Grace-This a adaptions is 'different', but to me it isn't as sad or slow as some period dramas.
Thanks for commenting!!!